Monday, August 08, 2005

Take This Job

Last week I interviewed for a new job. A big full time job with a media organization. It's been awhile since I was employed by someone other than myself. For the past few years I have been writing a book and freelance TV producing. For most of that time I have been working my tail off, but working on my own hours, late nights, early mornings and in between carpool pick-up and drop off. This is a dreamy work schedule for many moms -- but the unfortunate truth is, now I need a real job, a permanent type that pays me every two weeks and comes with a 401K. Unfortunately, those types of gigs usually have no flexibility -- especially for a new hire.

So as the recruiter of this media organization was questioning me, trying to assess where or how I would fit into their mix, I tried desperately to put on a happy face and say that I was willing to do just about anything. (You do this, when you really need a job) But the more she probed, I suddenly realized I couldn't lie -- I had to confess. "The truth is," I said, "I'm really looking for a position where I can have some degree of control over my schedule because I have two small children." The recruiter looked at me like I had two heads. "Do you have kids?" I asked sweetly. "No," she answered curtly.

Having spent years interviewing working moms about the gamut of issues we face, I have found that women can be our worst enemies when it comes to work/life balance. Some women if they have children and are working 100-hour weeks resent other women who work any less or feel entitled to work less. Women without children usually have absolutely no sympathy or understanding for the moms who race out the door at 5:30 pm to get home in time to relieve their babysitter or pick their kids up from daycare. And frankly why should they?

So as I looked around the newsroom on the way out of the door, I had an epiphany. I don't want this type of life or job anymore. I used to crave this and live this -- but not now. The room was filled with men and women who looked too young to have kids. Clearly this was not a good fit.

I knew I probably sabotaged my chances of getting hired when I discussed my need for some control over my life. But who am I trying to fool. My stomach was in knots when I thought about all of the time I would be away from my kids if I took this type of position. So again I'm trying to reassess what I want and what would work. My credit card bills are mounting and I really do need to have a consistent income -- freelance doesn't quite pay the bills. But what I discovered last week is that along with finding a job, I have to find something that blends into my life. And that's my biggest challenge.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

I found your blog after reading your book, which a stay-at-work mom sent me. It was very comforting and I thank you for writing it. Even though I work at home, like the moms you wrote about, I can't NOT work.

I've been freelancing for the last four years, but two of them with a child. Please check out my blog if you get a chance - I'm really interested to meet other moms working from home, at creative jobs, as I do - I think there are certain challenges to it that other work at home jobs don't have.

As for money, one thing my husband and I did was pay down all our credit and then switch to a savings system. MUCH better because my income is too sporadic to depend on from month to month. We take advantage of things like Home Depot's 12 months-no interest loans. It was hard, but so worth it because we don't fight about money anymore.

Best of luck to you in finding a new situation.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy,

I congratulate you on your honesty about what type of job you're willing to take. I too am in this situation. Life is a marathon not a sprint, and you must be true to yourself and your family.

You have been successful freelancing and writing your book-keep at it!!

Mom like you

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your book with a divine providence, it could'nt have come sooner !! I came to point in my career where I just could not take the long hours and yes I did feel guilty I was'nt giving enough time to my family. That's all behind me. I thank you in advance for all the mothers who are savoring the time when they can finally COME HOME !!

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right--women are their own worst enemy. What sort of blithering idiot would tell a prospective employer that she's not going to be a very good employee?

Employers don't want parents. They particularly don't want parents who tell them up front that they want the employer to allow them to put their kids first. So if you want better jobs, then shut up. How hard is that?

And don't blather on about how we must always put our kids first, because that's moronic. Life's a balance. Kids don't need to come first every minute of the day. And you don't need "flexibility" to take care of two kids.

But really, what a clever marketing ploy. Write a book about how easy it is to be a parent, and then publicly renounce the book and claim you've seen the truth!

One might wonder if you always had it planned that way.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK CAL,
There's a difference between being a good employee and the 24/7 committment that seems to be the norm for anyone wanting a little job security in their feild of choice. Especially when that feild be media-related. (I speak from the experience of a mother of three who does 12+ hrs/ day) Why? Well, it's called the lemon squeezer theory. After all there will always be fresh new lemons to squeeze and squeeze without the nasty flavor of real-life tainting their expectations. It's one thing to have to worry about paying off your student loans and still have drinking money left over. It's a whole other to be a mother who has to feed and care for kids as well as be a "professional". To my mind while the working world favors the childless perspective it can only be out of sinc with the real world and it's consumers. So while I agree with your hard facts, I must ask, WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON? And you need ALOT of flexibility to take care of two kids, especially if you want to be able to read them a story or oversee homework or talk about their day. I don't think you really get the parenting thing. - A MOM WHO WORKS

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google