Monday, April 09, 2007

Puke, Snot and Other Reasons Women are Prepared to Save the World

As I was picking my son’s nose tonight, I had an epiphany. I suddenly realized why women are indeed the more capable sex. It’s not simply our patience, our innate nurturing or our ability to multi-task. It’s that we deal with the disgusting. Even the most squeamish among us rise to the occasion when confronted with the truly gross. It’s no wonder why Nancy Pelosi, mother of five and grandmother of a bunch is now Speaker of the House. Yes, apparently she’s sharp as a tack even if she recently took a congressional trip to Syria, which frankly was really dumb. But I bet she knows her way around the really yucky which is probably why she’s fared so well in Congress. She holds her nose to it all, kicks ass and prevails. God Bless America.

So back to my son’s nose. Tonight as Michael was putting my five-year-old son Jonah to bed, Jonah got a terrific nosebleed – the tissue soaking kind. My kid, who is known for his dramatic, blood curdling screams if he even gets a scratch on his pinky finger, was surprisingly brave given the pints of blood spurting from his nostrils. And for the record, as soon as the blood started pouring, Michael ran to find me and then conveniently disappeared.

So after ten minutes of my pinching, Jonah’s nosebleed slowed and he began complaining about something lodged in his right nostril. It was a stubborn piece of snot and he needed help. I don’t regularly help pick my kids’ noses, but feeling sorry for the trauma Jonah just endured, I gingerly tried to extricate the boogie. This, of course, aggravated his tender nose and the bleeding began again. After some starts and stops I convinced Jonah to live with the snot and I promised to get it out if it still presented when he woke up in the morning.

But the nosebleed/snot episode frankly pales in comparison to catching my daughter’s vomit in my bare hands as I stood in the check out line at Costco last spring. After inhaling a Costco size crate of blueberries while she sat in the shopping cart, Lexi, 3, then began to violently barf up blueberries. I am still bewildered by why my instinct was to shoot out my bare hands to literally catch the throw up. The whole scene was so vile that I think I was in a state of shock – but being a mom – I rallied. As New Jersey, bulk, discount shoppers stood aghast, I stripped Lexi down to her panties, opened the 50-pack of paper towels I was about to purchase and cleaned up.

Subconsciously, I was probably equipped to deal with the Costco crisis after years of becoming somewhat numb to all of the poop that I’ve had to handle. It starts at birth with the meconium – that foul, tar colored first dump that a newborn takes. That, of course, is followed by the familiar explosive diarrhea that somehow shoots up the back, behind the ears, into the folds of the neck and into every baby crevice and crease. We as moms, use the term, “poopie” because it’s a cuter euphemism to the reality of cleaning up another person’s shit.

I am famously known for my sensitive nose, distaste for odors, easy nausea and general squeamishness. But I’ve realized that all of the tushes I’ve wiped and unpleasant episodes I’ve experienced must have had a higher purpose. I say, if women can boldly and adeptly clean up all of those really nasty messes, damn it, we can clean up the world.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wendy
I am a 32 year old PR professional from Australia who is reading your book 'How she really does it'. I have never written to an author before but feel you need to know how misleading the title of your book is. I have not found that it deals with 'how' a mother does it but rather 'why'. You will appreciate the limited amount of time mothers have to read and I feel quite cheated by both the title and blurb in your book. I believe that in fairness to your time poor readers you should make the following changes:
a) change the title of your book;
b) change the blurb for your book; and
c) send money back to people like me who were actually looking for practical advice on balancing work and life rather than some interesting stories about high powered people from NY that make your book easier to promote.

Please don't take this as an angry frustrated mother venting at the nearest target. I am a happy mum with a easy baby but I think there are other mums, perhaps with less money and/or time to spend on books that must have felt the same as me having read your book.

If, in your research, you came across books with practical advice that applies to most mums can you please point me in the right direction.

Regards
Gen Fraser

6:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Wendy,

I came across your blog while reading a post on Job-Mom. I really like your blog and your writing style!

My partner and I are building a networking site for professional moms, called Work It, Mom! (www.workitmom.com).

Our goal is to create a useful,
effective, and supportive online resource that helps professional moms navigate their careers. The idea is to create a network where members can share ideas with other professional moms and find ways to achieve a manageable work/life balance.

I'd love to talk to you about it. Please let me know how I can reach you. You can email me at victoria@workitmom.com

Thanks!

Victoria

5:54 PM  
Blogger Courtney Kelley said...

Hi Wendy-- I am a co-host and producer for a radio show in Providence, RI called FAMILY 411 and I would love to have you call into the show in honor of Mother's Day! We are an hour long Saturday afternoon talk show that deals with all sorts of topics to help put parents in touch with the resources they need to make their job of parenting easier (and what a job that is!) You can get more info on the show at www.920whjj.com under the weekend shows list.

Anyway, if your schedule permits, we would love to have you call in for a 10 minute interview on May 12 to talk about your book and your insites as a working mom. If you would rather do a taped segment, we can certainly do that instead.

I am really enjoying your book and I know other parents would love to hear about it as well.

I look foreward to hearing from you!

Courtney Kelley Bedard
courtneybedard@aol.com
Family411@920whjj.com

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Wendy,

Your book is great and I am enjoying reading it. Have you thought about a situation where a mother wants to work but cannot? Yes, I would love to work but am not authorised to work in this country (US)as I am on a dependent visa.The H4 status disallows me to work. Did you ever get a chance to interview such a person? What would you suggest to a forcefully 'stay-at-home' mom?

Anu

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I forgot to put my email. Please write to me at:

breezechilli@yahoo.com

Anu

10:50 PM  
Blogger HELENEKREMER said...

Wendy, am in the middle of reading your book and LOVE it.

I Googled your blog and had to write! Keep up the great work...

Helene, San Ramon, CA

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to Barnes and Noble next to get your book. I had one of those instinct moments in Kroger when my son was 1 1/2 . He was getting upset so I put him in the grocery part of the cart and sure enough as I was emptying the groceries onto the conveyer belt he flipped out of it backwards,I caught him out of the corner of my eye,slid down sideways and caught his head in my hand before he hit the floor. There were 4 people in line behind me everyone cheered. I've played some sports, but I have never been that on.(haha) I know bad mommy ,always keep your child restraint. (sorry). Loved the blueberry story.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it restraint or restrained ?

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Just wanted to say I loved your humorous take on the nastiness that is mommyhood. Check out my blog at http://lifewithour9.blogspot.com
We have a lot in common!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Shellon said...

HA! love your stuff! Check out www.gather.com

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google