Friday, January 20, 2006

Create A Life, Open A Void

Yesterday, I was speaking to my friend Cathy who has an enviously successful and accomplished career in film production. Her husband is even more successful. As we discussed our kids, careers, husbands, potential job moves, and the challenges of motherhood, she declared the utter unfairness of it all. "Even early on, you can see the paths of men and women going in different directions at work," she said spreading open her fingers to visually demonstrate the divergent paths of the genders.

"That's why when women take a break from their careers after they become moms, they can really never get back in and catch up," Cathy said. "Or if moms quit entirely they are feeding into old, workplace stereotypes about mothers. I think this is really dangerous for all women."

Yes, I agree it is dangerous. But sadly most mothers really don't feel as if they have many options. Last night, at a dinner with my girlfriends, a similar conversation was taking place. Everyone was in agreement that one parent's career had to slow down after they had children -- after all, someone has to be around for the kids. Of course, this someone is usually the mother.

Many women thrive in this arrangement. (At least for awhile.) They embrace the career of motherhood and are challenged in their role of Woman of the House. Others, by default, get used to this situation -- and make the best of it -- sometimes enjoying it, other times resenting it. And many women who financially need to and want to work after they have kids switch their careers altogether to something more "family friendly" and flexible.

I know women who left Wall Street to become realtors and women who left television production to become teachers and I know women who started small businesses of their own. Sometimes these moves prove to be fantastic and satisfying. But many other times it seems women feel as if they are compromising themselves. They feel forced by motherhood into a job that falls flat. They miss their old lives. They miss the rush, the chase, and the excitement of their former careers. They've become practical but sometimes bitter. They are desperate to find something to satisfy their personal cravings for creativity and stimulation. The irony is that by creating a life, many have also created a void. Why is it that in becoming mothers, we often lose ourselves?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also worked in television and film before I had children. At the beginning of my motherhood experience I was writing screenplays and making a pretty handsome living. It's seemed great at first, I had a babysitter come for a few hours a morning, then wrote while baby napped. It stung to hear her crying downstairs, but I held strong and knew I couldn't go to her. I enjoyed my few hours a week writing and dreaming about making another film....But after my first post-baby script was thrust into turnaround and writing jobs became more scarce, I was secretly relieved. I went on unemployment and cherished the fact that my days with baby were not being wasted in the gamble of development hell. After the unemployment ended I became pregnant again and really craved the world of tv again. But as I called all my old friends looking for jobs (many of them women with no children who were now the executive producers) I found not one of my old freinds and co-workers wanted to hear about my kid outside of the obligitory name, age etc.., or the special needs for my mommy status at work, liking needing to take the the 6:30 train to get home before bedtime. In my old life, 6;30 was leaving early! (Truth be told, when I was in my 20's we all felt that those who 'opted out' were wimps who couldn't cut it; could this be payback?)

The work I did find that was more ammenable to mommyhood, working at home, and leaving early turned out to be 'dummy tv'. The really stupid pop-culture crap that I wasn't interested in at all but could do with my eyes shut. So I held my nose and phoned it in and was grateful for the money that enabled me to take time off when the new baby came. But now I find myself having serious cravings and pangs for the substantial work I used to do. Before my kids, I made an independant feature film that premiered at Sundance and was realeased all over the world. I produced and directed intersting artist docmentaires for televison. I wrote screenplays for some of the most respected producers in Hollywood. Now I'm practically begging to get industrial work so I can pay for 2 kids in pre-school next year. I watch the Golden Globes and I keep seeing producers and actors I've met with, people who LOVED my work...people who are now winning Golden Globes while I try get my 18month old back to sleep. And when she is back asleep, I'm so happy and content and the smell on the top of her hairline is so comforting and delicious, I think, I'm so much better off than that childless producer standing on a stage at the Beverly Hilton getting an award.

I just want to do work that isn't so disruptive to my home life and that is meaningful and just not stupid.
Maybe I'll do film about this whole thing????
ss

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The anonymous producer who wrote the above message is amazing. You hit the nail on the head!! I do not work in television, but am currently struggling with EXACTLY the same thing. I have recently gone back to work at a large fortune 200 company in a good job, part-time. I took 4 months off just to be a Mom when my daughter started kindergarten. I don't want to be in that "mommy only" world full-time, but I also don't want my old world of full-time work.
Sometimes I feel like a whiner,and am sick of hearing myself complain. I am a problem solver (as all mom's are!) and I don't know the answer to this one.

Is there anyone out there who feels like they've got it?

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found out a few days ago , that we are pregnant. I am 35 years old and married for a few years. My husband & family have been pressuring me for years to have a baby and I finally gave in and now totally regret it. I am a starter in the business& after few years of true hard work and tribulations, finally making some contacts that could possibly lead to a steady career. This is my 2nd career. I am not established in any way and have much work ahead. I truly love what I do. It has been my life long dream and I can't imagine my life with out it. I have been crying and been depressed ever since . I feel very frighten and also extremely guilty for feeling this way. I am truly worried of loosing all my contacts and people I have worked with thus far while pregnant and also after. Most of my professional friends are not married and can't relate. I would love to hear from other professional independent women filmmakers/ directors/producers who have gone through this process and had a baby when they were starting and building their careers. Do you think its possible to have your career and a child or do you think that I will loose all my contacts while pregnant and taking a break? It seems as though the latter is the consensuses. Please help. Sharing your experience will be invaluable . Thank you so much.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading every post on your blog and this particular one couldn't have been written better. It was like reading what i.'m going through currently. Having woked for 7 years i decided to take a break after the birth of my son. I was happy initially and the break was welcoming - freedom from judging and bing judged, no apraisals, no pomotion, no deadlines and weekends to myself. But i'm missing the rush now, themonthly paycheck and there is an emptiness that is difficult to explain. The fear of reestablishing is haunting me.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a 32 year old married woman, and I am considering having children but I'm terrified of losing myself and all I have worked for the dreams I still have. I do want children, but there is still so much societal expectation that a mother should sacrifice herself completely for her child (indeed, lose herself in motherhood.)In my case I know that being a fulfilled working mother would be much better for my future child than being a resentful stay at home mom. I know it won't be easy, but I just wanted to say thank you so much for putting it all out there, honestly.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google