Thursday, March 05, 2009

Mommy Knows Best?

One of the things I’ve always struggled with since becoming a mom is wondering if I’m doing it right. It all started at 3 a.m. after my son was born and I roamed the hospital corridors with a screaming, famished, newborn who was angrily attached to my nipple and clearly didn’t understand why his mother’s breasts were still empty. “Where’s my milk? Feed me already, damnit!” he made clear in his primal screams to me. He hadn’t been in this world more than 12 hours and I already felt like a failure because I couldn’t satiate him. Throughout my pregnancy, I had been intent on exclusively breast feeding and feared the horrors of “nipple confusion” that had been drilled into me at Lamaze. My instructor made me feel like feeding a newborn formula was the lethal equivalent to shooting them up with Crack Cocaine. So I starved my baby for the first few days thinking that I was doing the right thing.

When baby #2 came exactly two years later, I insisted that I have an emergency bottle of formula at my side. “Yes, I’m nursing but my kid needs to eat,” I confidently told the militant maternity nurses who looked scornfully at my Similac and made multiple threats that my nursing wouldn’t take. But I ignored them. After nine months of successfully nursing #1, I felt like I had a Ph.D. in the ability of the breast and was confident that my dual feeding method would work until my milk came in.

But as the cliché goes, the bigger they get, the bigger the problems. And these days, I constantly feel like I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing. We know it takes a village to raise a child, particularly a complicated kid. So I have spent years consulting at great length and great fees my fellow villagers, particularly the doctors among my tribe. But ultimately, I’ve found that the buck stops with mom. Like my first night in the hospital, those BIG decisions seem to fall squarely on me. Not to completely diss my husband, but he looks to me to lead on the kid stuff.

A year ago, I decided to medicate my son for ADHD. I imagine many of you are cringing, especially if you adhere to the Tom Cruise philosophy that all of these disorders are just a bunch of hogwash or that ADHD is the most over diagnosed, over medicated, over hyped condition that has given an excuse for scores of lazy and neurotic parents to dope their kids to their detriment or to no real benefit. I get it because at one time I also thought that ADHD was just a flimsy diagnosis to label today’s ants-in-the-pants kids. But when it’s your kid who is facing a smorgasbord of fuzzy, hard-to-put-your-finger on issues without clear diagnoses, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and just want solutions.

Am I insecure about how I handling all of this? Absolutely. If your child has asthma, you give them an inhaler. If they have lice, you call in the nitpicker and de-lice your home. But if your kid has a complicated cocktail of various issues, what do you do?

I am one of those got-to-feel-it women who rely on my gut for almost all of my decisions from whom to marry to what color to paint my house. So while my maternal instincts often give me direction such as, Fruit Loops are not for dinner, you must wear a helmet to ski, and you cannot, for any reason, punch your sister, making medical and psychological decisions makes me tense, insecure and yes, defensive. Do I send my seven-year-old to therapy as some suggest or wait until he’s older and can handle it? Do I force him into yoga as a holistic remedy or jack him up on Omega-3 vitamins, as the Internet would recommend? What do I share with his school? My friends? My family? One thing that I’ve realized is once you put your kid on meds, you face judgment everywhere.

At a recent meeting with my son’s teacher, who happens to be wonderful, I was surprised by how shocked and slightly horrified she was that I was medicating her student. I immediately went into defensive mode explaining in probably too much detail how we thoroughly arrived at this remedy after consulting every expert I could meet with in the tri-state area. And still she seemed wary.

For those of us in this precarious place of trying our darndest to make sense of our kids and their needs, we can often feel that we’re steering a ship without a map, a compass or a day in nautical school. Who am I to make these decisions? I know that I am not alone and have outsourced as much professional advice as I can, but ultimately in the blurry world that is child psychology much is left to the parents to decide how to deal.

“Am I doing the right thing?” I constantly ask myself. And then I hear my friend Lauren’s words ringing in my ears, “you’re taking action and you’re doing the best that you can.” And sometimes that’s all a mom can do.

7 Comments:

Blogger shareournanny.com said...

Hi Wendy,I cant believe i only found about your blog now - almost four months after returning to work full time. Im just grateful that i did. I would love to link your blog to mine -www.shareournanny.blogspot.com

It's a blog for families who are seeking nanny shares. Link: http://www.shareournanny.blogspot.com
shareournanny.com is a FREE nanny share referral service that allows families to post and view nanny share requests. The key to its success is to share this blog with as many families as possible.

And that is why I\'m reaching out to you - to inquire about posting this information on your very popular blog if that's posssible. Since this is a completely free service, I don\'t really have a budget to spend on advertising.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Below is the pitch.

A million thanks,

Sharon Meiri Fox
Mom to 7 mo Nate
Founder, shareournanny.com
shareournannycom@gmail.com

****
In these rough economic times, it is scary to think about paying a tremendous amount for any type of child care - yet we all face this challenge. We all seek affordable child care and now is the time to be creative and think outside the box. A nanny share allows you to employ a wonderful nanny that will watch your child and another either at your home or theirs or both depending if you decide to alternate home bases each week. A nanny share is by far the most affordable, creative child care solution. You cannot beat the 2:1 child:nanny ratio in the comfort of your own home (or the other family\'s). It\'s a win-win situation - your nanny gets paid more per week while you pay less per week (as compared to having your own nanny).

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel for your confusion about the ADHD issue, but I have to say, the stuff about not wanting to starve your baby while waiting for the milk to come in is very likely a misconception.

Babies can actually survive for a few days while waiting for the milk to come in—and the colostrum comes first anyway.

It's fine to do what you feel the need to, as a mom, to take care of the baby, for sure, but know that the facts don't support that decision about using formula early on, necessarily.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the previous commenter, Gretchen... did you read her post? She's talking about doing what feels right TO HER as a mom for HER CHILD. Clearly children can survive without formula... that's how our species has survived all these years. Obviously she knew that she didn't have to do formula and her baby wouldn't starve because she had been educated about that before her first child. BUT... despite knowing that, and despite the facts, she made a choice based on her comfort level in how she wanted to feed her child. There's nothing wrong with that. She's not trying to tell people that their babies will starve if they aren't given formula in those first 24 hours, just as she's not trying to say that medication is for everyone with ADHD... she's talking about going with her mom instincts and what feels best for her child. The formula/crack cocaine analogy is so spot-on for the way formula is viewed by so many these days. Nobody will dispute that breastmilk is best, but the villification of formula just seems so unnecessary. Let the woman make decisions for her child without the little "reminders" of the facts about breastmilk.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fully agree - the most important thing we can do for our families and ourselves is to do what we feel comfortable with. Like you, I thoroughly research ALL options before making big decisions. Also like you, despite doing all that research and being (generally) very confident in the decisions I make, I will still offer up way too much in the way of explanations to anyone who so much as looks at me with a question in their eyes. (My husband is always telling me I should not do this and I try but sometimes the words, apologies, explanations just spill out). Honestly, most of the time it is none of that other person's business. They don't live at your home or deal with your children 24/7 - YOU know best. I think it is great that you brought your son's teacher in the loop. By being informed, she is better equipped to help him and you cope with the ADHD. Plus, she can be another set of eyes and ears to help you identify any potential side effects, improvements, or changes in his behavior that are crucial to document in order to continue his treatment. When talking about this with family & friends, look to them as a potential source of support and people who may also be able to help your son in some way. But, if they are overly critical or unsupportive, perhaps you should limit your interactions with them. What you're doing is hard enough, you don't need to explain yourself over & over to justify your decision. Your energy should be focused on your children, husband, yourself - not on worrying what these other people think. That said, I'm sure you will - but be sure to continually re-evaluate your son's progress and modify behavioral and pharmaceutical therapies accordingly.

I've been reading your book and am really enjoying it. I'm a professional with an advanced degree, mother of 2 yr and 7 mo old children, and currently working a temporary schedule of 4 days a week. My husband travels 3-5 days per week and we have no family nearby. This is the arrangement that works best for me. Ideally, I'd work 3 days but financially that isn't an option and I don't think work would go for that on a long-term basis. I need to ask to make my 4-day arrangement more permanent and am having a great deal of anxiety wondering how that will be recieved. The thing I've enjoyed reading about in your book - which applies to your post, is that each woman has to evaluate her own circumstances and take an approach that works for her, given all the variables of her situation. What works best for me may not work best for my colleague and so on. Most importantly, we need to NOT judge others. We need to recognize, too, that we all have different resources which limit our options.

And, since the breastfeeding topic was brought up, I'll jump in here, too. I breastfed my first child for 13 months, fully weaned at 14 mos. My second child is still fully breastfed. I've been fortunate to have flexibility and an abundant milk supply both times around which have permitted me to continue feeding my children in the way I feel is best for us at this point in time. I have many friends and family members who returned to work and stopped breastfeeding between 2-4 mos. I tire of the shocked inquiries "You're still breasfeeding???!!" and the implication that as mother & child we're too attached, the suggestions that I should give formula, and so on. I don't criticize mothers who decide not to breastfeed, or who decide they (in their words: "want their freedom") and decide to stop. My request for me and others who choose to continue breastfeeding: Please don't criticize me for choosing to make time to pump and feed my baby breastmilk for the first year as is recommended. I am no less dedicated to my work, am no less concerned about my need to sleep (not much of that happening at my house these days), and am going to create a sufficiently independent child - just like you.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should add that my request at the end of my post was in no way meant to imply that you or other posters are critical of continuing to breastfeed. It was a personal vent and a blanket request to people out there who do shake their heads and wonder why moms like me "still" breastfeed. :-) thanks again for a very intriguing blog~

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Gretchen said...

To "house of estrogen"...

Wendy said in her post, which I did read: "I starved my baby for the first few days thinking that I was doing the right thing."

She did not starve her baby. I already stated the facts about the wait for milk to come in, and that babies come out with stores to survive while the milk comes in. So, yes, her decision was based on her own need to feel like she was "doing something" but not really on the facts. It was based on her emotional needs and her insecurity...

"He hadn’t been in this world more than 12 hours and I already felt like a failure because I couldn’t satiate him."

I feel for her and I don't blame her, however, it is my goal to explain to those who may not know the facts about breastfeeding newborns to ALLEVIATE these feelings of guilt and failure. A great resource: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

Don't be so afraid of knowledge, dear woman.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right in this: the buck does stop with you. You may have options, but at the end of the day, the buck stops with you.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google